Thursday, November 26, 2015

Modern Gun Deer Camp 2015 at the World Head Quarters of Save the Acorns Foundation





The much-anticipated opening weekend of modern gun season has finally arrived.  We have been waiting months for this weekend.  We have sighted in our guns, prepped our gear, hung our stands, set up cameras, cleared our calendars with our employment and families, and cleared shooting lanes and trails with the tractor.  We do all of this work in preparation to hunt, but what we are really interested in is getting away from the busy everyday work, work, work.  We would rather spend some quality time with each other than harvest a lot of big deer without the companionship of each other.  We figure that spending quality time with friends that are more like family is more precious than deer.  Deer are just deer.  Deer are just a good reason to spend time together and if you’re lucky get some meat or maybe a trophy.   But lets face it, there are easier and cheaper ways to get meat.  Don’t get me wrong, hunting deer is fun and the chance of bagging a big buck continues to motivate us to do all of the work, deprive ourselves of sleep, and spend hours in the cold and/or rain. 
This year was a little different because this past season we started managing a piece of property.  I’m using the word managing very loosely for now.  We are just getting started so here is all we have done so far.  This particular piece of property in the past has had tremendous hunting pressure and was basically used as public land.  The first thing we did was try to shut out the public.  Turns out, this is harder than one might think.  There is one way in so we put up a gate.  We believe this one action has done the most so far.  After that we brush hogged some trails and shooting lanes.  Turns out if you make a trail for the wildlife in thick areas they will use them.   We also put up some cameras to get a feel for what is out there.  Our goals for now are to get a good healthy heard with mature bucks for the taken.  Like I stated before we are just getting started and we have big plans.  There will be more on this management process in the future.
This year the hunting was tougher than normal for us.  Usually, we harvest several deer and almost always a deer or two on the first day.  Going two days in a row without a deer is almost unheard of for us.  My grandpa once told me that there would some years when you can’t keep from killing deer and there would be some years where you can’t buy a deer.  It was starting to look like the can’t buy a deer option.  We had six of us in the woods and two days with no deer on the ground.   Robert got a bobcat, Daniel had a bear encounter (a story for another day), and we had come close a time or two.  I know I said killing deer wasn’t the most important thing to us, but we’ve kind of come to expect it and we do eat a lot of deer meat.  Things just weren’t working out.  We blamed most of it on the weather and the peak of the rut had already past. 

On the third day we were still persistent and went back to the two basic rules of deer hunting for us. 1. Hunt where the deer are. 2. Hunt using the highest percentage tactic.  We knew where some deer were based on pictures and sightings and siting in tree stands is the most productive tactic for us.  The weather wasn’t helping us at all.  Lots of rain was moving in so that meant sitting in a tree in the rain.  This finally paid off and I happen to be the lucky one.  I had been in the tree for a couple of hours and was trying to stay dry and just looking up every couple of minutes.  I had just finished eating some fruit snacks for a snack.  Don’t laugh until you try them, they are good.  I looked up and there was a good buck walking up the hill in a little opening about 120 yards away.   At the rate he was going he wouldn’t be around for long.  I could tell that it was good buck and worth shooting, not that I have much restraint anyway.  I’m working on that.  Without hesitating I got my Ruger 44mag ready, took aim, and pulled the trigger.  To my surprise the buck went down.  He started to get up and I put another one in him and he was done.  It was about an hour before dark so I decided to just stay in the stand to see if anything else would come out, but it didn’t take long for me to change my mind.  I got to thinking about the camera pictures and he could be one of the good bucks we caught on camera.  Once my mind went there, I was out of the tree in seconds.  As I cautiously approached the downed buck I started to realize that this buck was bigger than I realized.  Once I got to him I realized that this was the biggest buck we had on camera and the biggest I have taken to date.  I will admit I was lucky.  This deer could’ve walked by anyone of us.  I really don’t consider this my deer because all of us at camp did all of the work, it just happen to walk by the stand I was in.  So this was a trophy for all of us and hope for the future to come.  This was the only deer we came home with on this trip, but was the biggest one we have ever come home with.  It is the possibility of deer like this that keeps us going after them and encourages us to take care and manage the land.  Not just for our good, but for the good of the wildlife.  So in keeping to our theme, continue to do your part to “Save the Acorns”.  This means harvesting animals and becoming conservationist with the environment they live in.

No comments:

Post a Comment