Sunday, December 18, 2016

Deep Roots

 

All families have Thanksgiving traditions, but I believe my family has a unique one. Every year my family and some we consider family meet at my grandparents house to celebrate Thanksgiving.  There are usually between 20-30 people that show up. That doesn't sound unusual except that they don't live there anymore. In fact both my blood grandparents are no longer with us.  The place is an old farm where my grandparents once made a living.  The property is still in the family and the house is still there, but no one lives there anymore.  However, I go there every chance I get.  This is my playground, hunting grounds, and family roots. My parents and uncle spend a lot of time, energy, and money out there maintaining the property, mostly for this once a year event. Without their efforts the gathering wouldn't be possible. 
It is located in what I consider one of the most beautiful places in Arkansas.  It is near where almost all of the major rivers in northwest Arkansas originate. The Kings river, Mulberry river, Buffalo river, and the White river all originate from this area. The wildlife is wild and there is plenty of it. The nearest town is about 45 minutes away and that town is not that big. When I need to get away, this place fits the bill. 
After we finish the noon meal we take a hike to the other side of the hill.  This is not just any hike to walk off lunch or just to see some of the amazing scenery, we hike to what we call the "big tree" or the "Bob place".   You may wonder why this is special to us. I will try to explain. My great great grandpa Bob homesteaded there from Kentucky. When he did he brought an Eastern Hemlock with him from Kentucky and planted it here.  It is a rare tree for this area because they are not native to Arkansas.  The government now owns that piece of land and it is part of the Ozark National Forest. The tree is still there. We visit it every year on Thanksgiving to remember those who came before us and maybe make us wonder what kind of legacy we will leave behind. If that tree could only talk it could tell us over a 100 years of history. It once stood at a homestead where every day activities took place to survive and now resides in the middle of the forest. I know it's just a tree, but this tree has a story.  One of these years that tree will fall, but because of that tree we will remember. What tree will you plant for the future generations to remember?


No comments:

Post a Comment