Monday, May 12, 2014

Story - Outboard Blown Head Gasket

I haven't been able to get this motor to run perfect since I got it 3 years ago. It seems like I change something every time we go out. Over the last year I fixed several things. It would never idle, so I cleaned the carb. That worked. The main problem I have is that it sputters for a bit and then runs great for a bit. There is no consistency. I thought it might be getting hot, so I checked the impeller and it was good.  I checked the thermostat and it had chunks of rubber clogging it up. I think the impeller crumbled and was replaced before I bought it, but they didn't check the thermostat to see where the rest of the impeller had gone. I can't find any spark plugs around here, so I cleaned the ones that were in there. I changed the oil a couple weeks ago and it looked fine.

Yesterday I took the spark plugs out to check them. The top one looked great. The bottom one looked like it had water on it. I checked the oil and it was super milky. I drained it and it looked like cappuccino. I figured it was a blown head gasket, so I started breaking the motor apart. Boom, found it. I ordered another one for $38 and I am hoping that this was the root of all my problems. I think what was happening, was when the thermostat opened it was pumping water into the bottom cylinder. I think that was why it was hit and miss. The good thing is that these motors are relatively easy to work on.



Clogged thermostat.

Bits of old impeller.

Milk in the fuel pump hole.

More milk.

Busted. Literally.


No comments:

Post a Comment