Monday, May 12, 2014

How To - Making Bucktail Jigs

So, I like to hand make things to harvest critters. With the cost of time it would be much cheaper to buy a few bucktails. But, I buy bucktail jigs and throw out all the hides we get in the fall. It seems like a no brainer. The only thing I didn't have was the thread bobbin. I tried a couple variations and used pipe cleaner for accent. I think what I am going to do next time is use red thread with clear polish. Also the thread spool I was using was too big for the bobbin and the thread was too thick.

Process:
Clamp the jig head down.
Make a few wraps to get the string locked down.
Put a little fur on the top and make a few wraps.
Put a little fur on the left and make a few wraps.
Put a little fur on the right and make a few wraps.
Finish it off.
Put a little nail polish on it to lock the threads down.

Bucktail, pipe cleaner, jigheads, nail polish, thread, and bobbin.

My oldschool jig clamp.

Not bad for a first run.

A couple variations. Also, I think pool noodles are about as versatile as PVC.
First fish on my homemade jig.






No comments:

Post a Comment